Friday, June 24, 2011

New Chicks!

Sunday we received our Murray McMurray shipment of chicks. Dark Cornish, Silver Spangled Hamburgs, and White Crested Black Polish chicks, plus a free exotic chick make up this recent shipment. The Dark Cornish I plan to raise as broilers like the flock I have on the pasture now. The other breeds I plan to keep as layers.

In our first flock, we received a white crested black polish chick as our free exotic chick. Unfortunately, it died. Nicholas thought it was cute, so when choosing birds to keep around, we decided to get a few of those.

Unlike the last order from Murray McMurray, this one arrived after only a day and a half of travel and I only lost two chicks within the first 48 hours. All and all a success.

Chicks in the brooder with Gimpy.


The Freedom Ranger chicks arrived this morning. They almost tower over the Dark Cornish chicks. All arrived in an energetic state after their two day travel through the postal system. I brought them home and let them drink and eat fruit before heading out to the brooder.

Half of the newly arrived Freedom Ranger flock.

My clever scheme also allowed me time to eat breakfast. The chicks seemed so energetic that I decided they could go straight out instead of spending the night with us. Nicholas helped me pack them back into their shipping box and off we went. Once in the brooder they quickly made themselves at home and began mingling with the other chicks. They also began darting around like pinballs.What a great way to start the day!


No comments:

Post a Comment