Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Getting Things Done...Even by Truck light

You may have noticed that winter approaches. For us this means getting things done in the dark. The photo below shows Nicholas' work area for finishing the wooden shipping crates the afternoon before our last slaughter. Entergy is scheduled to hook up our electricity at the barn today. We look forward to seeing after 5pm without the constant aid of a flashlight or headlight. 

Winter is coming and with its early sunsets the chickens get to range around. I let the chickens out to roam since I can safely put them away at night now that the sun sets before I leave. Plus, this way they get to enjoy the shock of green fodder rye grass provides. The daily egg hunt is one draw back to their roaming. 


Changes for the New Year

We recently received 100 pullets of mixed layer breeds from Meyer Hatchery. One died in transit, but the rest are doing great. I'll post a video soon. These will start maturing in June/July. I look forward to figuring which breeds we received. 

Yesterday we purchased a trailer for our layer mobile base. We want to build something like the image below that will allow the birds to roam while remaining under protection from hawks. 


The pigs continue to grow and entertain. They run around more than I expected and did I mention earlier that they enjoy having their bellies rubbed? So amusing. Some of you may know that winter truly comes later in Mississippi and that our winters tend to be more like monsoon seasons than anything else. All the recent rain finally convinced the pigs to pile up in their house instead of underneath it. I will try to get a photo soon. They go to bed about the same time as the chickens and my iphone becomes practically useless in that darkness. 

Winter is coming, but I think we're ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment